My Favorite Banana Granola
Prep Time 10 mins + Cook Time 35 mins = Total Time 45 mins
Prepares 12 servings
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 2 1/2 cup (250 gr) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (80 gr) almonds, / chopped
- 1/2 cup (80 gr) pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup (40 gr) sunflower seeds
- a pinch of sea salt
- 3 bananas, / ripe
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
Spices to select from…
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp ground anise
- 1/2 tsp ground vanilla
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
Optional to taste…
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) almond milk
- half a banana or banana slices
- Preheat the oven at 325ºF (160ºC) and cover the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine the chia seeds and the water and let them soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Mix all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl (including the spices).
- Combine the bananas and the oil and puree those into a smooth mixture.
- Add the wet mixtures (the banana and chia seeds) to the dry mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the granola over the baking tray and bake for 15 minutes in a preheated oven.
- Remove the tray from the oven, stir the granola with a wooden spoon and place back in for an additional 20 minutes. Note: check on this throughout to avoid burning.
- Let the granola cool down and serve with the almond milk and the sliced banana. Enjoy!
baking tray, mixing bowls
Ingredient Substitution and the Result
refined sugars => bananas, V + C
milk => almond milk, P
“bad” fats => rapeseed oil, V + S
too much salt => a pinch of sea salt
processed grains => rolled oats, nuts and seeds, F + V
Result of the Substition:
F = increase in fiber
V = increase in vitamins
C = cut in calories
P = plant-based swap
S = less saturated fat
The result was delicious and I am very happy with it. It is not only good for my health but also for the environment because it does not require any packaging. The best part is that it tastes great too. I hope you enjoyed reading about this recipe as much as I did writing it. Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas by leaving a comment below. Thanks for reading!