Red Rice Salad with Tofu and Apricots
Here’s a simple recipe for a sweet and spicy rice salad with tofu and apricots. You will need nine ingredients and within thirty minutes you’re ready to serve.
This healthy recipe for rice salad uses red rice. Red rice has similar nutritional values as brown rice. They’re full of fiber and contain plenty of nutrients. You can usually find red rice near the Himalayas and southern India. But I just found some at my local supermarket so I thought I’d give it a go.
Red Rice Salad Recipe
For this quick and simple lunch or dinner recipe, we begin by cutting the apricot into small pieces. After that, put them into some lukewarm water with some raisins. Saute the red rice in a pan together with some olive oil, spring onions, and salt. Then we add some bouillon and cook the rice within 20 minutes ready.
You can toast some pine nuts during these 20 minutes, bake the tofu, and chop some fresh cilantro. Once everything has been prepared, you’re ready to serve your rice dish with baked tofu and dried fruit.
Rice with Tofu and Apricots
Prep Time 10 mins + Cook Time 20 mins = Total Time 30 mins
- 1/3 cup (75 gram) dried apricots, welled
- 2 tbsp raisins, welled
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup (300 gram) red rice
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- half a bouillon cube, vegetable
- 1 1/2 cup (300 gram) tofu, cubes
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, roasted
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Chop the apricots and leave together with the raisins in luke warm water for about 15 minutes.
- Clean and chop the spring onion. Sauté the spring onions with some olive oil in a skillet over middle high fire for 2-3 minutes. Continue by adding the rice, the cinnamon and a pinch of sea salt and sauté for an addition 2-3 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the bouillon cube with 600ml boiling water. When the bouillon is ready add this to the skillet together with the welled raisins and apricots. Cook the rice in about 20 minutes ready.
- In a dry pan toast the pine nuts over middle high fire golden brown.
- After the pine nuts bake the tofu cubes with a tablespoon of olive oil over middle high fire.
- When the rice is ready stir in the baked tofu and serve with the toasted pine nuts and some chopped cilantro.
This is a very simple dish but it tastes great! It’s also a good healthy alternative to pasta. You can make it as a side dish or even as a main course if you want.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe and I will see you next time 😉