Tofu Berry Cookies
Tofu in your sweet baking…
I’m not sure if you know this, but I love tofu. It’s one of my favorite foods and it has been for as long as I can remember. My mom used to make me a special meal called “tofu with rice” when I was little. She would boil some water, add the soybeans (which she soaked overnight), then drain. Then she would add the soybeans to a pot of boiling water and cook them for about 15 minutes. After they were cooked, she would take out the beans from the pot and put them on a plate. On top of the beans she would place some rice, some vegetables and a piece of meat. The combination of the different flavors was amazing.
When I got older I started making tofu myself. Tofu is a perfect and protein-rich ingredient to replace eggs in your most delicious cookies, cakes or pasties. Tofu has hardly any taste in itself and it will make your cake just creamier.
The other main ingredient in these cookies are the dried berries of Heart of Strandja. They specialize in organic dried fruit and because their fruit is dried at low temperatures, the fruits hardly lose any vitamins or minerals when drying. This is something that I really appreciate. Many thanks to Heart of Strandja for letting me try their natural products!
Prep time: 20 mins, Baking time: 55 mins,
food processor or immersion blender
Ingredients for 12 slices
1 1/2 cup or 300 gram silken tofu, puree
2 cups or 250 gram buckwheat flour
2/3 cup or 100 gram dried berries from Heart of Strandja
2 tsp Weinstein baking powder
1/4 cup or 50 gram coconut blossom sugar
coconut oil to grease
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
half a teaspoon ground vanilla
a pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat the oven at 325ºF (or 160ºC) and grease a baking form with some coconut oil.
2. Combine all ingredients except the dried berries into a food processor and run until smooth.
3. Add half of the dried berries to the batter and stir to combine.
4. Pour the batter into the baking form and finish with the other half of the dried berries.
5. Place the baking form in the oven and bake in 55 minutes golden brown and ready.
6. Let the form cool down, cut in pieces and enjoy!
This recipe is very easy to make and tastes great. If you want to try something new, give these vegan cookies a go! They are gluten free, dairy free and have no refined sugars.
If you enjoyed this, please let us know